Friday 4 May 2012

Ibuyile Indodana (The young man has returned)





It feels like yesterday when I held my bundle of joy in my arms, on the 13th of January 1993 the Lord had finally blessed me with the son I had longed and prayed for.  I made a silence prayer and thanked the Lord for this gift and further prayed for his guidance in raising this innocent fellow.  In my prayers I did not forget to thank my ancestors who in my belief played a crucial role in making sure that my wishes are fulfilled and I also called upon them to continue to guide me in my journey.

 Years went by and my son like many other Xhosa boys needed to go through the initiation process where he is taught the values of being a man and how he should uphold the clan name and live a dignified life.  I as a woman have no clue of what happens there but I know its no child’s play.  Tomorrow my son will return from the initiation school, a celebrations ceremony will take place and my son is going to be welcomed into manhood and given a status of being one of the men in the household. However, the young man has a long way to go in order to gain the wisdom that is needed to maintain the status, he has to be willing to learn from those before him .#smed12


1 comment:

  1. I really like this piece. It gives one a very brief glimpse into the emotions experienced by a mother whose son has gone to initiation school. There are minor spelling and grammatical errors which can be avoided IF you use a spell and grammar check before posting.

    ReplyDelete